Sunday, January 14, 2018

Meet Sister Wendy Watson Nelson!


On Tuesday we will hear a special announcement from our beloved Apostle President Russel M. Nelson.

I have always LOVED him!

There is no secret. No surprise. We know he will be the next President and therefore Prophet of our church. "We believe in apostles, prophets, pastors teachers, evangelists and so forth..." just in the days set up by our Lord Jesus Christ.

Not to detract from our sweet and pretty incredible soon-to-be prophet. I know there will be plenty of announcements, articles, thoughts and blog posts about him and his amazing life (did I mention he was a world renowned cardiothoracic surgeon, if you don't know this there is much to learn about him). But forgive me, I want to bring up his wife!!!

Meet WENDY WATSON NELSON!!!



If you think that it wasn't possible that a world renowned cardiothoraic surgeon, apostle, soon-to-be prophet could have a suitable match you would BE WRONG!

He has had one, twice in fact. His first sweet wife Dantzel passed away in 2005. She and Elder Nelson had 10 children. One boy and NINE girls! Yep that is right! NINE girls!

Sister Nelson was an amazing person I wish I would have known more about her. From what I know she was a true hero. He talks about her tenderly and lovingly.

Wendy Watson Nelson married President Nelson in 2006. I first heard her speak at a regional conference on family history.

Before she began I thought she may be quiet soft spoken (Silly me, what was I thinking?) but from the moment she stood I realized I was very mistaken.

It is not that soft spoken is a bad thing but she was poised, confident, well educated but relate-able. Her talk was impactful, powerful and moved me to action on family history. I was sitting at the edge of my chair. Who does that with family history? Who was this woman? I thought.

She left me in awe. I knew little about her.

I heard Wendy speak a couple more times. Each time has been a delightful experience. I found more out about this powerhouse. A RN, A psychologist and Phd in Marriage and Family. A professor and Author and chair of women conferences.

When I heard that she was going to speak with Elder Nelson at a broadcast for a young adult fireside on marriage and family I didn't care that it was for young adults. I found the broadcast and I listened.

AND I WAS NOT DISSAPOINTED. She spoke like a LION! She was fierce and relentless at telling young married adults (and all adults) about what it takes to make a marriage successful. Her talk is not for the faint of heart. This woman is no cowardess. It makes me smile to think of it.

I listened to this while sitting at the airport waiting for a flight in Hawaii. I couldn't stop smiling. I kept thinking "Who is this woman?" "I want to tell the world about this woman." Elder Nelson's talk given at the same time was great, of course, as his talks always are but everyone already anticipates his talks will be excellent. I wanted to shout out to the world about hers as well.

Here is a link from that talk. Listen to it after you have fastened your spiritual seat belts and if it is an appropriate subject for you. The woman doesn't pull any spiritual punches. Oh she makes me smile. Seriously.

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/worldwide-devotionals/2017/01/love-and-marriage?lang=eng

I look forward to seeing her in the future. As the wife of the prophet we will probably get the opportunity of hearing from her at different women's conferences (sounds like we would have any way she has been directing them for some time) and other types of broadcasts. It will be fun to hear from her more.

Sister Nelson has a book out that I can't wait to read it has a 21 day Challenge!!!



Here is what LDS living wrote about it

"In Covenant Keepers: Unlocking the Miracles God Wants for You, Sister Wendy Watson Nelson uses pure doctrine, and examples of those who have taken the Lord at His word and put His doctrine to the test, to offer us invigorating insights into our baptismal, sacramental, and temple covenants.
Sister Nelson invites us to consider how our covenants can help us with everything from loneliness and despair to boredom, meaninglessness, and feeling overwhelmed. She teaches us how we can ask for angels to help us and those we love; how our premortal covenants can help us make meaning out of the anguishing experiences of this mortal life; how the covenant of sacrifice and the covenant of service, and even the very words of our covenants, can give us access to power we may have been overlooking.
Encouraging us to participate in a 21-day experiment that changed the lives of stressed-out young mothers, Sister Nelson takes us behind the scenes into a most unexpected journey she personally has been on, sharing three truths that now compel her life."



Here are some delightful articles from her.
on being and Apostles wife -
http://www.ldsliving.com/Just-Asking-Sister-Wendy-Watson-Nelson/s/81238

When she was attacked but felt comfort:
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/705344538/Apostles-wife-felt-comfort-despite-attack.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did Jacob see Jesus?

Sometimes I write blog posts that are more rambling thought and I never publish them. This is one that I stumbled back on and I found it i...