Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sharing the Proclamation to the Family with the Chief of Police

Sister Sancho My Trainer
As a new missionary in Malaga, Spain I was paired with one of the best possible sister trainers in the mission, Sister Sancho. I soon came to see that this 4 ft something sister was a spiritual giant. She was from Spain and was the only member of the church in her family. She was the type of person that just by walking into a room her presence somehow commanded the notice of everyone there.

It became her personal mission, when I first got there, to distribute a copy of the Proclamation of the Family to as many people as possible. We stood on street corners, knocked on doors, shared in stores and talked with people in public transit. Her zeal for the message was admirable. Unfortunately the area that we were in was not very kind to Mormon missionaries even to the sisters. At times it was difficult to share our message and find those who were willing to listen.



One day I received a notice in the mail that we needed to go to the local Console to have my Visa signed. It was a large building which also homed the local police station and was heavily guarded by police officers from without and within. While getting my Visa signed through a bulletproof window at the front desk it was like a light went on in Sister Sancho's head. She suddenly slammed her fist down on the counter surprising both me and the attendant through the window. "I want to speak to the Chief of Police!" She demanded in Spanish.

I wasn't sure what was going on to be honest. I understood what she said but I didn't understand the wide eyes of the attendant nor the shuffle that ensued behind the counter after her request. I now realize years later that the officers possibly thought we were complaining of some sort of assault or something very serious to request the chief and since I was an American I think it added a bit of a plot twist to their already complicated tasks.

The Chief of Police
After a bit of waiting we were ushered into a room in the upper level of the building where a serious and concerned man in uniform with a mustache sat behind a desk. He was the chief of police and it was obvious to me by the way others acted around him that he expected a great amount of respect. Other officers lined up on both sides of the room. Their faces showed intense interest in what we were about to say.

Just moments before entering the room my companion got giddy and excited that they were actually taking us to him and she showed her excitement only to me hiding it from the other officers about the halls. Before she entered with me at her side, however, she gained her composure and looked serious and even a bit majestic even though she was the smallest person in the room. The chief of police asked why we were there, possibly wondering why these two Mormon sister missionaries had demanded his presence.

With confidence Sister Sancho placed a Spanish poster of the Proclamation to Family on his desk, slid it towards him and told him it was what members of our church believed about the family,  She also shared that the family was divine and ordained of God.

His shoulders relaxed and his tight lips broke into a smile. The officers standing around us looked at each other with either relief or amusement. I think for the first time the officers all realized that we were there to preach instead of complain and their concerns of having some local American crisis evaporated.

The Convert to her message
After we walked out of the building Sister Sancho was glowing. She had shared a sacred message about the family directly to one of the highest authorities in that area. We both laughed at what had just transpired and I jokingly praised her for her audacity.

I don't know of anyone that was converted that day. I am sure that they all joked about us after we left but deep down I knew that I had seen a miracle. A beautiful daughter of God testifying of the sacredness of the family with confidence. She did it before a group of men of authority in her own land.

She may not have been aware that perhaps the greatest convert to her message was her companion standing at her side. Me. A few years down the road I would become a fierce defender of the family and I would begin raising 5 boys of my own.

I have reflected on this experience often. I remember my companion who stood with courage on behalf of the family in a police station. Her example has inspired me to stand and say that I also believe that the Family is of God. I believe that it is an important part of God's plan and is vital to the welfare and future of individuals and society as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did Jacob see Jesus?

Sometimes I write blog posts that are more rambling thought and I never publish them. This is one that I stumbled back on and I found it i...