Sunday, October 1, 2017

The General Conference Store and more

Most of my posts are scriptural insights and how they apply to my family.

This one is not, rather it is my scheme of how I get 5 boys to sit quietly and attentively through all sessions of conference.

Conference is like a spiritual shower of knowledge. I LOVE CONFERENCE SO MUCH! I have always wanted my 5 boys to take part in this experience and enjoy it.

This conference Oct 2017 was AMAZING! Incredible!!! My 5 boys, who used to never want to watch conference with us, now do.

Conference used to be boring! I tried printing out packets, giving out candy and treats, doing puzzles, letting them play on devices (which was a bad idea all around) and more.

Nothing seemed to make my husband or I feel good and nothing seemed to keep them entertained and listening. We usually had re retrieve back to the room and try to convince them of the importance of conference.

It even was causing a little bit of stress between my husband and I who didn't agree on our methods of convincing them to watch conference.

And then it happened.

I saw it on a friend's facebook post.

"The conference store!!!"

This is how it works:


  • The night or week before conference I buy a few treats or treasures varying in size, and cost. 
  • For me I buy little candies, medium candy bars and a few toys (that are still only 1-2 dollar toys).
  • For every talk the children watch all the way through, they get a ticket. 
  • After all the conferences are over I set up the store.
  • They all bring their tickets into the conference store and buy what they want  store according to the number of tickets they have.


At first I wasn't sure if it was going to work, especially since none of the packets, crossword puzzles, bingo challenges had worked well in the past.

But boy did it work! And each conference it just got better.

The first conference it worked okay. They stayed mostly watching and were excited about the store. The earned lots of tickets but missed a few here and there. After the store bargaining was over the children who had missed a few talks really regretted their folly and were determined not to miss any talks the next conference, which they didn't.

Now every conference the boys listen to every session! 5 little boys, who just sit there! It's a miracle. They just listen. After each talk they will say, "Mom did you get me a ticket?" but that is it. They will even comment like this session one blurted out "Did he just say "flying serpents" while another couldn't believe all the evidence that showed that Joseph smith was a prophet. I love seeing them surprised or emotional in a talk. I love it when they laugh at jokes. It is so fun!

Now I know what you are thinking, or at least some of you (that have never had to bribe). You may have mixed feelings about bribing kids to listen to conference and that is okay. Don't do it!

Do what works for your family. This is only an idea.

I must say however, I have seen great things come from them staying and listening. They do listen and they recount everything, and we have formed great habits as a family. It is also becoming a new fun family tradition that they, and I look forward to.

We are on our fifth conference with a conference store and it has been great! It has worked well for my family!

I loved conference this session! There were so many treasures! I can't wait to do round two and relisten or reread! It was so fabulous!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did Jacob see Jesus?

Sometimes I write blog posts that are more rambling thought and I never publish them. This is one that I stumbled back on and I found it i...