Sunday, February 1, 2015

Overcoming stumbling blocks like Sariah



Once in a while we hit stumbling blocks, things that make us stumble. But as we work through our stumbling these blocks can actually solidify our faith.

A stumbing block for Sariah
I have been thinking a lot about Sariah lately and the struggles that she went through.

In the past I thought of her lightly and even a bit judgingly as she questioned Lehi, the prophet and his visions and the guidance that he had received. But now as I have examined her situation my respect for this woman has grown immensely as I consider her vital role in saving her posterity from bondage and death and traveling to the promised land.

Her greatest struggle in the beginning turned out to be what solidified her faith to endure what was needed in order to truly save herself and her family and lead them to an amazing physical and spiritual inheritance. She would later have children in the wilderness, endure starvation and almost die because of the neglect and hardness of the hearts of her Elder sons but her faith and resolve landed her family in the promised land.



Sariah started with obedience but she stumbled
We don't know for sure but at first Sariah seemed to obediently follow Lehi's counsel to leave Jerusalem. This wasn't an easy decision. It cost her home, friends, family and all of her possessions but when she was faced by the possible demise of her sons when they didn't return from Jerusalem, something extremely important to her, she questioned the power by which Lehi received his guidance. She just needed to know for herself and couldn't rely completely on someone else. When revelations are received for the church I believed they are received twice. Once to the leadership of the church and again individually in our hearts. After all, we are told that by the mouth of two or three witness we will know things. I think this personally may apply here as well. She knew her sons were returning to Jerusalem and understood the difficulty of their task. Remember this was a very wicked time among this people. They would soon be destroyed for their wickedness. She must have known the wickedness of Laban and his merciless ability to kill and take other's possessions. She must have known the greatness of the men that he commanded. She put her faith in the Lord as her sons left but when they did not return as planned or in the timely manner she faced a great struggle of faith. 

Sariah becomes solidified and bares hardship with faith and saves her familyShe called Lehi a "visionary man" who tried to comfort her and tell her in his own way "You are right, I am a visionary man, and if I weren't then we would have been killed at home.". When her son's returned and most likely after Nephi shared his account with her of how they were miraculously saved and that an angel had even appeared to all 4 of them she rejoiced and "knew of a surety" of the Lord's counsel to leave Jerusalem. Sariah remained a team player, She is even often referred to by Nephi in their journey. Her part was invaluable and unique to her. Because of her, her family was saved and made it to the promised land.



I can relate
I can relate to Sariah. I have had several questions that have made me stop reflect and search for answers. Recent events have weighed on my heart and my mind to the point where I couldn't sleep or rest. I have found much refuge and peace in literally hours upon hours of scripture study and prayer. But in this struggle I feel that my faith has been solidified. I have no doubt about the guidance of the Savior Jesus Christ himself in this church and I have a clear understanding of how I am to proceed in my life and put my faith and trust in the Savior and in the Priesthood as it currently is upon the earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did Jacob see Jesus?

Sometimes I write blog posts that are more rambling thought and I never publish them. This is one that I stumbled back on and I found it i...