Thursday, July 2, 2015

"Feeling our way" vs "clinging to the rod"


Feel vs Cling
I found it interesting in recent scripture study when reading Lehi's vision of the tree of life how there are two main groups of people. Those who "cling" to the rod which is the Word of God and those who "feel" their way towards the great and spacious building.

I couldn't help but ponder on the different meanings of those two words and their significance in recent events and how they pertain to me personally especially when trying to decided my own stance on legalization of same-sex marriage. I knew the Lord's stance. I knew the leaders were clear but I felt compassion and I was uncertain what to do.

This is something that took some time for me. I love people. I care especially about rights, those who are under served and my family taught me to be accepting. I also had unique professional perspectives. After much thought, study and prayer, however, my decision was final. Redefining the definition of marriage was out of the question. I stood with the Lord and his doctrine. This was a part of the word of God that I especially needed to cling to. The debate can be vast on both sides but my heart is with the word of God.

After making my decision I read the difference in the scriptures about "feeling your way" towards the building or "clinging" to the rod in order to make it to the tree. I reflected on my feelings they had changed and shifted during the debate as I considered the different aspects and consequences but the word of God didn't change. It stayed steady. The scriptures also say "press forward clinging to the word of God" several times as if against something, not step forward, not walk forward but press forward. In this case it is against the opinion of the few that would call me closed minded or intolerant. Emotions and feelings are definitely something that we need to consider but when trying to interpret the hundreds of angles involved in the debate of this generational changing legislation it comes back to clinging to the rod, the word of God and the direction given by the prophets in ancient times and the latter days.

----
When the supreme court decision was passed and I saw the white house, other land marks and my news feeds light up in rainbow colors I felt a range of emotions but the to greatest were fear and sadness. The scriptures were clear. The time has come, according to the proclamation of the family all of the calamities foretold are coming. I don't want to sound doomsdayish but it is what our leaders, prophets and scriptures have been saying for the last few years. In that moment, it all sunk in.

Then I found a scripture in John 16:20-23 where Christ is talking to his disciples about his own death, crucifixion and resurrection and it also has reference the scenes before his second coming. He says "Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice; and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy" True to the scripture and foretelling of the Savior, the world was definitely rejoicing while I sorrowed.

The signs of the last days are scary but the signs themselves are also tender mercies because we will understand that these things are all part of the plan. Just as a woman has signs of labor (Christ uses this example right after the above scripture) we have the signs of his coming. Just as she knows she is in for a lot of pain, we will know that the days to follow are going to be hard. But just as her sorrow is turned into joy, our sorrow will turn into joy as we see great things come to pass and the work that we have been looking forward to will all be fulfilled.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did Jacob see Jesus?

Sometimes I write blog posts that are more rambling thought and I never publish them. This is one that I stumbled back on and I found it i...