Thursday, November 17, 2016

Search the Words of Isaiah

You will notice that my posts coordinate with Sunday school scripture study. I don't teach Sunday school in church but I love to read along. It is a great way to study the scriptures. It almost feels like cheating. Someone else gets to figure out my regular scripture study regimen for me.

Right now we are in 3 Nephi 22-26. We just read the Isaiah chapters.

I know it is easy to dose off with the language found in Isaiah but lets think about this.

Christ is quoting Isaiah- who is speaking Messianically, meaning since Isaiah was a seer, perhaps one of the greatest seers to walk the earth, he is speaking as the Jehovah of the Old Testament.

So Isaiah is delivering the words from the Messiah to the House of Israel or of Christ before he came to earth.

And now here we have the resurrected Christ in the Americas, who is quoting Isaiah to the Nephites. Isaiah, however, was actually quoting Christ before he even walked the earth as a mortal! The pre-mortal Christ!

DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THIS IS AWESOME?!!!

Christ is essential quoting himself through the words of Isaiah!

He gives us a commandment to not only read the words of Isaiah but search them. How many of us have heeded this commandment of Christ? I am recommitting.

In these verses Christ teaches us the power of language. He speaks to the house of Israel on a Macro level as well as speaks to us on a micro level, individually. I am not sure how he does it but he seems to accomplish this well. The language of the scriptures, particularly these verses, reminds me of the intricate order of mathematics. Everything Christ says in the scriptures somehow ties back to others passages in the scriptures...I mean, how is this all possible? It goes to show that the God of the earth is also the God of our language. The scriptures are so interwoven and timed together, it is impressive.

In 3 Nephi 22 Isaiah talks of a woman in labor who after many years of being barren is finally having children and alot of them at that. She must enlarge the tent to receive all the children. He is talking about the mourning period of the house of Israel when there was great wickedness but how in the last days there will be a great expanding and understanding of the gospel. There is so much in here at both the macro level which coordinates with gathering of Israel in the previous versus of 3rd Nephi as well as an individual level if we apply it to the atonement.

I LOVE LOVE verse 16 since I worry about the "last days". I fear both spiritual and physical "weapons of destruction" that may impact my children. In verse 16 Christ reminds us that he is the creator of the all things, even the creator of those who create weapons and it is all in his plan.

3 Nephi 22:
16 Behold, I have created the smith (meaning black smith) that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth and instrument for his work; and I have created the water to destroy.

17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall revile against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me saith the Lord.

I don't know about you but I need to spend some time on these verses. If you like additional study helps there are several out there. I don't think it is wrong to tap into the expertise of a few scholars. I believe that it can enhance my "search" of Isaiah.

I love David Ridges guides (He used to be my stake president) of the Book of Mormon Made Easier as well as Isaiah Made Easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did Jacob see Jesus?

Sometimes I write blog posts that are more rambling thought and I never publish them. This is one that I stumbled back on and I found it i...