Sunday, January 21, 2018

3 Unique Ways to Study the Scriptures

The scriptures are so fun to me. I love them!

To read them front to back is only one way to study but really I feel like I would miss out if this was all I did.

Throughout the years I have studied in different formats that have been enlightening.

Here are a three:

Study in one Word
Find a word that calls to you. When I read the scriptures certain words will get my attention and I feel compelled to learn their meaning in more depth. Charity, for example, was my favorite! Fruit, water, fish, vessels, virtue, salt, light...and the list goes on.

This type of study is so deliciously fun! I studied the word Charity for an entire year. I honestly feel like I could have studied it even longer.

The other day I started studying the word feet  :) when I ran across the scripture "How beautiful are the feet upon the mountains of him that bring good tidings of good..."Isaiah 52:7 Then it went on to the washing of the feet and so forth. It gave perspective to a lot of scriptures.

Type of People
The scriptures are filled with groups and categories of people. These groups are interesting. I think we are meant to learn from their mistakes and their virtues. A while back I noticed there were certain people who who wanted to follow the Savior but didn't. I wanted to know what kept them from the path- These included: The young rich man, the seeds which were sown that did not grow, the people in Lehi's dream, Laman and Lemuel, someone that Paul taught who said that Paul might have "convinced him to be a Christian", even king Noah...the list goes on. These people are not in the scriptures by accident their stories are important to us.

One time I studied all the different people and ways in which Christ healed. How did they show their faith,  or did they? What were the methods in which Christ healed them? Again. I find a sliver of me in them as I am often broken. How can I be healed whether it is spiritually, mentally or simple flaws in my personality and so forth. If he cured the impossible can he not heal me or my children or my loved ones? Or when does the line of mortality end and we accept that the Savior healing will be in the eternities? These are questions that can be answered when our hearts are opened. I studied this as my father was dying of cancer. Although he was never healed, I saw great miracles occur.

Spiritual Nudges
Sometimes we may feel compelled to study a principle. Perhaps we have feel like we should learn more about pride, hope or family history. This is most likely a spiritual promoting. Go with this promoting. Great discovery awaits!

There are other ways of study. Remember President Nelson's challenge to read about Christ words when he was still Elder Nelson a few months back? Studying callings and roles (I have studied "mothers"). You can read the scriptures like a novel or simply listen to them. Read all about Covenants, Promises and Blessings (That will take a lifetime).

They are so wonderful! If accompanied with prayer and an open heart they become life changing and personal.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did Jacob see Jesus?

Sometimes I write blog posts that are more rambling thought and I never publish them. This is one that I stumbled back on and I found it i...