Sunday, January 4, 2015

3 Ways to Receive Answers From the Lord and 1 Way Not To (A Lesson from the Brother of Jared)


An important question seemingly unanswered
I remember spending many hours on my knees after my now husband asked me to marry him. I prayed harder than ever and I felt like my prayer was met with silence. I did not have a stupor of thought, I knew what that was like and it was not the same but why did I not get a clear answer? Wasn’t this the most important decision of my life and possibly eternity? Why did I not receive guidance? Didn’t the Lord promise that if I knocked he would open? Why had I clearly received answers to such trivial things in the past but I didn't have an answer for this. After hours on my knees a thought came to my mind and my question was answered with a question.“Do you want to marry him?” I searched my heart and my answer was yes.

We got married and as time unfolded I realized the importance of making my own decision and how wise it was of the Lord to answer my question with a question in this circumstance and allow me to use my agency to search out the answer.

As I have studied the scriptures I realize that I was not the only person that this happened to. I have always been intrigued by the story of the Brother of Jared in the Book of Mormon. It covers so many aspects of prayer. It is amazing! When you get the opportunity reread it watch all of the insights of prayer unfold.

The Lord communicates with the Brother of Jared in several ways before, during and after their journey but I want to focus on three ways in which the Lord answers the prayers of Brother of Jared specifically about the barges. I also want to discuss the importance of a question that perhaps the Brother of Jared didn't ask.

The Lord answers the Brother of Jared in 3 Ways
There are three ways in which the Lord answered the Brother of Jared's pleas for guidance on the barges. First the Lord does the work for him or guides him step by step, second the Lord gives him specific instructions and third the Lord lets the Brother of Jared figure out his own answer.

Background
First of all a little background on this story. Jared and his Brother see the wickedness of the people. The Brother of Jared prays to know what to do. The Lord reveals that they will be going to a promise land. He instructs them to leave, carry swarms of bees, lay snares to catch both birds and fish, and to carry seeds. To me it seems like these instructions would be difficult to follow. Can you imagine carrying swarms of bees? Especially when we learn that they carry them in enclosed barges. If I was the Brother of Jared I think I might not want to pray again for fear of the instructions that might come. This kind of happened. We aren't too sure why but the after the families journeyed to the border of the sea the Brother of Jared stopped praying for a while. It could have been that the last time he prayed he had to gather swarms of bees, or it could have been that they camped on the shores of the sea and felt like they were in paradise and there was no need to pray. But whatever the reason when the Brother of Jared did come before the Lord he was chastised for not praying. For three hours the Lord chastised him from a cloud.

They had built barges before, they already had a test drive
After this the Lord instructs the Brother of Jared to build barges and cross the great waters. I have read this story dozens and dozens of times. I always imagined that they came to the sea shore and the Lord instructed them on how to build the barges but I didn't realize until recently that his people in their travels before this had already built these barges. As they were traveling in the wilderness they traveled through many waters and had already been instructed on how to build the vessels. It is amazing that the Lord knew to give these people a test drive, so to speak, of these barges so that when they came to the great waters they would know what they were in for and could work out the bugs before a much longer aquatic journey. As is true with our lives at times. Sometimes the Lord lets us test drive certain problems and trials so that we will be ready to face other trials in the future and know how to handle them. (Ether 2:6, 2:16)

Three Problems
So when they Lord instructs the Brother of Jared to build the barges the Brother of Jared knows what the bugs are already or in other words he knows what issues there are with the barges. He has three problems. First of all there is no way to steer them, second there is not enough air for a long trip and third there is no light in them.

The Lord does the Work
First there is no way to steer the vessels. The Lord answers this question of the Brother of Jared right away and he basically tells the Brother of Jared not to worry because he (the Lord) will steer the vessels for them. The Brother of Jared needs to have faith that the Lord will take over and push them towards the promise land. I know that for me I have had similar experiences where I couldn't see the next step. I like to know where I am going and what my next move is but in certain situations the Lord has told me to hold tight, wait and let him guide me. For example when my husband graduated with his PhD he suddenly became an over qualified candidate for the jobs that he was applying for. We had spent a lot of money and years on his education and expected to transition immediately into the perfect job. It seems like month after month we continued to walk a disappointing road of bekoning school loans and empty opportunities. But through this I felt a calm sense that the Lord was leading us and guiding us through the treacherous waters of life and self doubt. After a couple of years we surfaced. We had gone through our food storage completely and I had learned how to sacrifice, budget and meal plan but suddenly an almost impossible window of opportunity landed us exactly where we were supposed to be. There was no way that I could have steered our sails in that direction if I was at the helm. It was the Lords doing.

The Lord gives a specific set of instructions
Second problem was that there was no air. Perhaps in the test travels of these vessels they discovered that the vessels were best for short trips since there was limited amount of air but on a longer journey they feared that they would not be able to breath. When the Brother of Jared asked the Lord about the air the Lord gave him very specific instructions. He told him how to cut holes on both sides of the vessels and how the unstop them. This is fascinating! Perhaps the answer to this question was out of the capacity of the Brother of Jared to answer himself or he needed to know specifically because he only had one shot at cutting a hole in a vessel that was tight like a dish. I don't know but either way the Lord gave detailed instructions. I have had specific instructions on several occasions. One example is recently when praying about one of my children. While on my knees I asked about a specific problem and I felt compelled to get up, get a piece of paper and a pencil and start writing down my thoughts. As I did this the thoughts flowed and I soon came up with a specific plan of action on how to help this child. It was a miraculous answer to my prayer.

I feel like this is what I was also searching for when I prayed about my husband. I wanted the Lord to give me a specific set of instructions. Without knowing it I wanted my agency, which is an integral part of our eternal identity taken away. I wanted the Lord to make the decision for me. I wanted a clear answer but instead I was answered with a question like the Brother of Jared was for the next problem that we will talk about.

The Lord lets us come up with our own answers
Which brings us to the third question "How should we have light in the vessels?" The Brother of Jared anticipated this problem. In their test drives he understood that the barges were dark. Maybe it was comforting or even vital for their eye health to have light in them especially when there were on such a long trip before them. Either way he came to the Lord and asked him about the light. He had already thought through the fact that they could not have fire, he had not asked the Lord without thinking about this before hand but the Lord said "What would you have me do?"

The third answer to the Brother of Jared's questions is the most vital. I have often felt disappointed when I have not received specific instructions or I have been met with silence but after reading this story it is amazing to see the blessings that were poured out to Brother of Jared because of his use of agency to search out and workout his own answer before the Lord. It was in the process of getting this answer that the Brother of Jared actually sees the finger of the Lord and gets much more than he bargained for but in a good way.

To answer the return question of the Lord "What would you have me do?" we can suppose that the Brother of Jared put ample thought, work and sweat into getting his answer. First of all he somehow moltens the 16 stones, then he carries the stones "in his hands" up a very high mountain, one that was known well for its "exceeding height". Have you ever tried to hike up a mountain, a high one with 16 stones in your hands? He also knew that he had to make it back down after with the stones still in hand but he was willing to make the round trip to talk with the Lord in a special place which was the mountain.

When he is finally up there he is so humble in talking with the Lord. He pleads with the Lord not to be angry with him for the answer that he came up with. Unfortunately I have played the opposite role of this too many times where I have told the Lord what was best for me when I shouldn't have and when I should have been more humble in my approach. 

The Brother of Jared brings his answer to the Lord and asks the Lord to touch the stones with his finger. When the Lord does what he asks the Brother of Jared actually sees the Lords finger and he is shocked. He didn't know that the Lord had a finger that was like unto flesh and bone. It is in these passages that we learn much about the nature of heavenly beings. It is because of the Brother of Jared's work and his question that we have another witness of this sacred information. The Lord asks the Brother of Jared if he saw anything else and he says no and then the Lord asks him if he wants to see more.

Because of the Brother of Jared's work in answering a question about how to get light in the barges he gets to visit with the Lord face to face. He also has a vision where he sees "every soul!" How incredible is that!

Silence to a prayer can be a gift and invitation
I can't help but think that when we are met with silence at times in our prayers, when we are worthy and have faith to receive our answers that the silence is an invitation from the Lord. Not only to work out the answer that we are searching for but an opportunity to learn about who we are and a sense of our eternal beings. The Brother of Jared started his quest wanting to know about light for a vessel but ended up learning about the nature of God and his own eternal destiny.

I didn't see any of these great things happen with the other two answers. Yes to be guided of the Lord is amazing, and to receive specific instructions of the Lord is also amazing but to see the Lord face to face and see every soul upon the face of the earth is unfathomable! It was when he put work and energy into his answer that he got the greatest reward.

Something that I think is interesting throughout this story is that the Brother of Jared did not receive instructions until he asked. There were many parts of his journey where he received instructions and on all of them he had to have an open heart and had to first approach the Lord in prayer.

The question the Brother of Jared didn't ask
There is one part of this story that has always bothered me. It is the question that the Brother of Jared or Jared himself didn't ask. After all that guidance and after all the prayers that were answered and after talking to the Lord himself it is ironic that the Brother of Jared might have missed a vital question that costed the future of his posterity to be cut short. After they make it to the promised land and as Jared and the Brother of Jared began to get old they asked the people what they would have them do before they died. The people requested of this brotherly duo that they would appoint a king out of one of their sons.

This is interesting. The Brother of Jared knows that this is not the right solution. He knows that having a king for the people is not a good thing. He fears it but it never says that he tried to inquire further about it. The same thing happens to Nephi. He doesn't seem to ask the Lord about the ruling of the people either. In contrast Mosiah actually ponders and prays over this subject and receives revelation that inspires him to come up with the system of chief judges. A system that helps to extend the righteousness of the people and use their agency to appoint leaders that represent their own ideas and reduces the tyranny that often happens after a long reign of kings.

So why didn't the Brother of Jared ask about how his people should be ruled. He states it is a bad idea but his Brother Jared says "suffer (meaning, I know you are against this but let it be so) that they may appoint a king." None of the Brother of Jared's kids want it but one of Jared's sons decides to take it. He was a righteous king and ruler but as we read the Jaredite history the reign of their kings gets ugly and leads to the horrible destruction of this entire civilization.

So it makes me wonder, how many amazing and life changing answers are waiting for me just as this might have been waiting for the Brother of Jared. It may have not been time or there may have been other factors at work here but what if the Brother of Jared had asked the Lord how to rule the people. What if he had put as much work into this question as he had with carrying the sixteen stones up a mountain in his hands after moltening them?

I keep thinking about my family, and what I want for them. I keep thinking about the mission statement that I have procrastinated. What if the Lord has inspiration for me for them that will have a great impact on their future. And to imagine that that guidance is there for the taking if I only choose to take it!

Conclusion
So in this article I have discussed the different ways that the Lord answered the prayers of the Brother of Jared. He led him, he gave him specific instructions and he had the Brother of Jared workout his own answer. When the Brother of Jared did the work he was rewarded greatly and the flood gates of revelation were opened to him. He learned not only about how to get light into the barges but he learned about the unique nature of God and the greatness of his own eternal destiny

I have also discussed the possibility of a question that Jared did not ask. I am not criticizing this great man whose story inspires me beyond description. I do not know the circumstances that surround the culture of appointing kings or the Lords timing but I have often pondered what a difference it would have made to this civilization if they had not had kings.

So when we go through life's journey and feel like our prayers are being met with silence it is a grand opportunity and invitation. We should never hesitate to pray because the questions that we don't ask may actually have a great lasting impact on us and those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did Jacob see Jesus?

Sometimes I write blog posts that are more rambling thought and I never publish them. This is one that I stumbled back on and I found it i...