Tuesday, October 6, 2015

How President Monson's talk answered my prayer about contention in online conversations



I LOVE Conference!
There has been a lot of buzz about how President Monson's strength was giving way during his talk. I actually had a really incredible experience with his talk that I want to share.

Each conference I write down questions that I have and hold close to my heart that I need answered. Then I pray about my questions and during conference I listen carefully for the answers. EVERY TIME my prayers are answered. Almost miraculously answered. Sometimes my questions are so personal, so tender and even odd that I am amazed when entire talks seem directed towards my questions.

A heart felt prayer
This time midway through conference I realized that I had forgotten to ask my questions. I was sucking it all in and felt like everything applied to me but I hadn't asked any questions. So before the Sunday morning session I knelt down and poured my heart out to my Father in Heaven.




I had a few questions about my mothering and my personal journey that are too personal to share here but I also had one thing on my mind that was really heavy. Locally our city is voting on a new Life Center which includes a recreation center. This is a subject (the benefits of recreation centers to communities) I have personally studied for a long time before it was ever an issue locally. I have a Masters Degree in Public Health and my study on this subject was fulfilling and extensive. I don't want to distract from the main message here on this post by going into too much detail but as I shared information on this subject online I quickly became a target of negative and even threatening voices. Entire conversations surrounding this subject were intense. I was really surprised at how cruel, mean and unkind people were. I had to disconnect. Because of an experience over a year ago I had decided that I would not lose myself in online contentious conversations. I would stay positive and that no matter what I would not be negative. I spoke up a couple of times in defense of others and requested that people stay positive but still the negativity flowed.

So I started to wonder if I was being a coward. I started to wonder if I should be more aggressive. All I really wanted was the truth as I saw it to be known and I even oddly felt a responsibility to share it. Why I had studied this so much and found it so interesting before it was ever a question in my own city I don't know. So this is where I was. I prayed to know what I should do. If I should remain in my conversations the way that I had tried to be, positive or if I should push back against some of the misinformation and negativity. I took it to the Lord. I didn't know what to expect as far as answers to this prayer, it honestly just felt good to ask Heavenly Father for help. I wondered if one of the talks would answer my question.


President Monson answers my prayer
The first speaker only a after a few minutes after my prayer was President Monson. He stood tall and his talk got right to the point- "Be a light" and "Be ye and example of the believers in word, conversation, charity and purity." He then continued to expound upon all of these principles. He then began to talk and even was very specific about conversations online. He talked about being kind and loving. I felt a huge relief and even a bit of awe at what I was hearing and what was happening. Here was the prophet of God answering a personal prayer that I had just said a few minutes before. His answer was so perfect as if he were sitting in a room with me and I had just told him exactly what I was going through. I felt like he was telling me sincerely that no matter what the subject and how important it is, how I acted was more important.

I've always known President Monson was a prophet but I felt a deep love from my Heavenly Father as I listened to President Monson answer my question that only God knew. Then as I watched President Monson continue to speak my attention was caught as I started to hear his speech slur and then his physical frame started to wilt. Still a prophet of God. Still a man of great strength with a powerful message to share. I could tell he was then trying to get through his message more quickly as his strength was diminishing- The message he knew that he was meant to give.

So as my newsfeed has lit up with people concerned about his health I can't help but ponder the personal miracle that seemed to unfold to me in his talk. I could tell that the church spokesman was trying to get people to focus on his message rather than on the last minute of his weakening health. A prayer, a message. an answer- Thank you President Monson. Your message was needed and was miraculous in my life. I sure do love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did Jacob see Jesus?

Sometimes I write blog posts that are more rambling thought and I never publish them. This is one that I stumbled back on and I found it i...